About Humble Bean
Thank you for visiting Humble Bean! My name is Azusa and I started this site in 2009 for personal reasons and to provide you with the motivation and technique to make Japanese food at home. I focus on Japanese recipes accessible for the home cook, so you won’t find anything overly complicated or fancy here. I source from Japanese language magazines and books as much as possible, so English-speaking readers have access to recipes otherwise out of their reach.
I define the term “Japanese food” somewhat loosely to allow for the fluctuating nature of food culture. Humble Bean is as much a tool for learning traditional foodways as it is exploring new ideas and tastes. I hope you enjoy!
Places to Connect
Mentions on the Web & Beyond
Brit + Co.
• Furikake Popcorn featured in 12 Creative Recipes Inspired By Movie Theater Staples
Always Sometimes Anytime
• Humble Bean featured in Best Japan Blogs
• Matcha Mochi Cupcakes featured in Green Tea Flavored Desserts
• Wrote an article titled “Nabemono: A Meal For Sharing”
Ireland’s Food & Wine Magazine
• Japan Issue
• Bacon and Shiso Fried Rice named Best Savory Rice Dish Runner Up