Easy Cucumber Salad

Hellooooo there.

I ate these cucumbers at a potluck a few years ago. It was salty, crunchy, garlicky, and sweet. I asked for the recipe and permission to post it here. Then I planned, shot (with my daughter), and edited a video, and then guess what. I joined a preschool co-op! …and it sat in my queue for nearly 2 year. It’s no coincidence that my daughter will be graduating and——hi——I’m on the blog again.

ANYWAY, picnic weather is on the horizon. Even though we didn’t have much of a winter in LA, the longer days always gets me excited about eating outdoors. I imagine picnicking with little sandy fingers eating this cucumber salad and rows of musubis and chicken karaage. Mmmm~ once the weather warms, let’s get out there.

Easy Cucumber Salad
さっぱりキュウリのサラダ
Makes 4 small servings

1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp shoyu
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp water
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 Japanese cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers

Combine all ingredients (except cucumbers) in a medium bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar. Add cucumbers and toss to coat with dressing. Eat right away or let sit before serving. The longer the cucumbers marinate in the dressing, the saltier they will be.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Favorites, Pickles, Recipes, Salads, Uncategorized, Vegetables and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Tampopo
    Posted April 1, 2018 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Soo good to have you back! A lot of your recpes have become staples in my cooking. Love to get new additions.

2. Noelle
    Posted April 2, 2018 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I am just watching this over and over instead of working on my post.

3. Posted April 14, 2018 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Tampopo, I loved hearing that! Thanks for welcoming me back!

4. Posted April 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Noelle, when is our next “deadline?”

5. gayatri
    Posted May 1, 2018 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

simple and nice dish. If anyone want to try something traditional Indian foods check out this site https://www.vahrehvah.com

6. ROXEE
    Posted May 23, 2018 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

I LOVE the cucumber salad at Din Tai Fung. I can’t wait to try this!

7. Posted May 25, 2018 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Lovely recipe! Unfortunately I didn’t have any green onion, but I’ll be sure to buy some the next time I make this. I was unsure if I would like the raw garlic (as I’m not a huge garlic person) but it’s lovely and mellow after marinating overnight in the fridge. Perfect in today’s bento!