Rice with Okra and a Poached Egg

Rice, egg, shoyu: mix. That was my favorite breakfast growing up. Sometimes it was a raw egg, other times it was a hardboiled egg steeped in the juices of a sweet oden broth. These days my stepdaughter continues the tradition with her go-to afternoon snack: rice, scrambled egg, shoyu, and mirin.

But I feel better if a vegetable is involved. Prior to the Mind-Changing Okra recipe in Tara O’Brady’s Seven Spoons cookbook, all I ever did was boil or steam okra. Hers is pan-fried in sesame oil and the flavors are assertive and strong. Perfect accompaniment for rice. I borrowed her technique and used ingredients that are staples in my kitchen.

And, if okra for breakfast is not your thing, take a quick click over to xobreakfast. Noelle’s got a nuanced, deep granola offering. I can say first hand it’s probably unlike any granola you’ve ever had.

Rice with Okra and a Poached Egg

I made the okra the night before and let the rice soak overnight.

1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 pack okra (about 180g), sliced crosswise
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tsp shoyu
1 tsp mirin
poached eggs
cooked short-gran rice
nori for garnish

Heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add the okra and lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about 2 mins. Add the garlic and cook for another min. Add the shoyu and mirin and cook until evaporated.

Fold into hot rice and serve with poached egg and nori. To eat, break the yolk and mix well. Add more shoyu, if necessary.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Rice Dishes, Tofu + Egg, Vegetables. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted September 16, 2015 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Ok, I really need to eat more rice for breakfast.

2. Posted September 17, 2015 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

And me, more giant beans.

3. Posted September 18, 2015 at 7:26 am | Permalink

I like okra so much… somehow I’ve forgotten its existence for at least a year… (it’s not easily found here, apart from Indian or Vietnamese shops), so thank you for reminding me about this delicious vegetable. Mixing it with rice sounds great. I often mix different vegetables with rice and feel a bit guilty having it on its own only with proteins ;-)

4. Posted September 19, 2015 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Sissi, we think alike! I’m always scheming about ways to incorporate vegetables, but most of the time it just ends up being fried rice. Would love to hear what you cook up.

5. Laur
    Posted December 14, 2016 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

My new favorite snack or simple dinner!

6. Posted December 14, 2016 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Laur, so happy to hear it!