Pickled Smashed Cucumbers

These pickles are quick and they balance the salty, sweet, and sour flavors beautifully. There’s also something gratifying about smashing cucumbers with a rolling pin, so if you have some aggression to let out, here’s your chance! The result is a more rustic pickle, crunchy, refreshing, and delicious.

pickledcucumbers_3189_1024
pickledcucumbers_3193_1024
pickledcucumbers_3201_1024

I’m sorry for the lack of good images of the final pickle—I inadvertently deleted some of the photos from my camera before importing them. Hope that doesn’t stop you from trying this recipe!

Pickled Smashed Cucumbers
たたききゅうりの酢漬け

Adapted from Your Japanese Kitchen 3

3 Japanese cucumbers or 5 Persian cucumbers, ends trimmed
scant 1/4 cup (50ml) shoyu
scant 1/4 cup (50ml) rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
couple pinches red pepper flakes

In a medium bowl, combine the shoyu, vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil. Whisk until sugar has dissolved and set aside.

With a rolling pin, smash the cucumbers, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Put the cucumbers in a plastic bag and pour in the shoyu mixture. Add the red pepper flakes and squeeze the air out as much as you can and seal the bag. Massage a bit, then place in the refrigerator for 2–3 hours.

This entry was posted in Appetizers + Snacks, Contemporary Recipes, Favorites, Pickles, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

These sound perfect. As it happens, I just made tataki gobō the other day. ’tis the season for taking out one’s aggression on vegetables, I guess!

2. Posted March 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Emma, I’ve never had tataki gobo. Sounds so intriguing!

3. Posted April 3, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Somehow I was too busy preparing for my Easter trip and missed these cucumbers. I love pickled cucumbers, both European and Japanese way, so I’m sure I would enjoy this preparation too. I have seen something similar recently in a cookery book and bookmarked it, but there was no such beautiful photo to motivate me :-)

4. Posted April 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

You’re sweet to say so, Sissi! Hope you enjoy these!

5. Posted June 26, 2013 at 3:52 am | Permalink

This sounds so similar to a dish that Lao people make. Only we smash it up like green papaya salad! Thank you for sharing this recipe, I have to try it out! I simply love pickled cucumber.

6. Amy
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I made this the day before yesterday and quickly finished the whole bag. Thank you for a delicious recipe that I’m sure I’ll make again many times.