Matcha Sablé Cookies

I found this recipe on Bread et Butter and couldn’t wait to try it. I had some leftover matcha from last week’s Matcha Roll Cake, so making this was a no-brainer. The fragrance of the matcha really came through when I was preparing the dough and I loved the deep mossy color.

matchasable_3280_1024

matchasable_3285_1024

matchasable_3294_1024

matchasable_3297_1024

matchasable_3310_1024
The bitterness of the matcha really came through. My stash of matcha is pretty fresh and I think that makes a difference. I store matcha in the freezer, but I’ve noticed the flavor does dull over time.

Matcha Sablé Cookies
Adapted from Bread et Butter
Makes about 45 cookies

To chill the flour, I put a bowl of it in the freezer and left it there while my butter was coming to room temperature. I used 3.25 oz of sugar, but the original recipe calls for 4.5 oz. Feel free to adjust to your sweet tooth.

7 oz (200g) cake flour, chilled
0.5 oz (15g) matcha
5.25 oz (150g) butter, room temperature
3.5–4.5 oz (100–130g) powdered sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks, room temperature
granulated sugar

Sift the flour and matcha twice and set aside.

With a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the sugar and salt and beat well until incorporated. Add the yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Fold in the flour and matcha. The dough will look impossibly dry at this point, but it will eventually come together. I ended up using my hands because I was getting impatient. Whatever you do, don’t overwork the dough. Form a ball of dough and cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 5 mins.

Divide the dough into 2 and roll each into a log, measuring about 1 inch in diameter. Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 300ºF (150ºC). Roll each log in granulated sugar and slice into 1/4″ (7mm) rounds. Place 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until edges are slightly brown, about 20–25 mins.

This entry was posted in Sweets and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted April 3, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I cannot take my eyes off these beauties… I love matcha so much, I could add it to all of my desserts (well, apart from tangy ones; somehow matcha doesn’t fit). I prepare similar biscuits and have been meaning to “spice them up” with matcha for quite a long time, so it’s as if you were reading my mind… Thank you once more for the inspiration.

2. Posted April 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Sissi, might I suggest dipping them in chocolate? I did that as an afterthought and I really liked it! Bittersweet chocolate paired well with the bitterness of the matcha, but I could also see it going nicely with a semisweet. Top with a bit of sea salt, too. In any case, hope you give these a try!

3. Posted April 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the advice. I love dark, bitter chocolate so this is the one I’d use.

4. Posted July 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Dear Azusa,
    I just discovered your blog thanks to a search for gobo tempura, and I’m in love! I’m really late to the game but thank you so much for everything you’ve written on here, it’s all delicious and gorgeous, and there are many dishes I have not seen elsewhere (I’m getting tired of the same old stuff that’s repeated in every Japanese cookbook in the US.). I’m looking forward to putting your food in my bentos. :D

5. Posted July 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Amy, thank you for your kind comment! I do my best to search for interesting recipes—mostly from Japanese language media for people who wouldn’t have access otherwise. Hope you have a chance to cook some of these recipes!

6. Tia
    Posted February 16, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are definitely look good! I love the vivid green color of matcha. I will try your recipe this weekend. However, I was wondering what is the reason for chilling the cake flour?

7. Posted February 16, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Tia, I believe it’s to keep the dough as cool as possible before it goes into the oven. Happy baking!