Egg Drop Soup

I make this Chinese-influenced soup when serving a batch of gyoza or fried rice. I don’t know how it’s traditionally made, but here dashi is used as a base, which gives it a smooth, smokiness I like. If you have dashi on hand (I usually double a batch and freeze what I don’t use), this is simple and fast to make. When I have leftovers, I’ll heat some rice in the soup and eat it like a porridge.

eggsoup_2797_1024

eggsoup_2805_1024

eggsoup_2808_1024

Egg Drop Soup
かき玉汁

Adapted from 和食の基本

2 eggs
3 cups (750ml) dashi
1 Tbsp katakuriko
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp shoyu
ginger juice, squeezed from grated ginger
nori

Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk without foaming. Do this by stirring with chopsticks without lifting the tips of the chopsticks from the bottom of the bowl. Add 1 Tbsp of dashi and stir again to incorporate.

In another small bowl, add the katakuriko and 2 Tbsp of dashi. Mix to combine and set aside.

Put the rest of the dashi in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then add the salt and shoyu. Stir with a ladle and bring to a boil once again. Quickly remix the katakuriko and dashi mixture, then add to the pot, stirring constantly until it has thickened slightly.

Once it comes to a boil again, add the egg in a constant slow stream with one hand, while stirring with a ladle with the other. When the egg fluffs to the top, immediately turn off the heat. Serve with a bit of the ginger juice and crumbled nori.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Favorites, Soups, Tofu + Egg and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 13, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I think I had it once in a Chinese restaurant. Dashi and katakuriko make it so Japanese! Another bookmarked recipe.

2. Irene
    Posted March 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

What a nice spin on egg drop soup! I believe it’s traditionally made using chicken stock. I’m guilty of using whatever I have on hand for both Japanese and Chinese dishes, so I’m sure this version will taste just as delicious!

3. Posted March 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Sissi, do let me know what you think of it!

Irene, I think you’re right about the chicken stock. My preference lies with using dashi, though! Hope you like this recipe.

4. Posted March 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I love egg drop soup. I think it is the perfect soup for spring, especially and sometimes I add frozen peas at the very end for some color and a little pop of sweet flavor. Yum!

5. Posted March 13, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Rachael, I imagine the peas to be so pretty in this soup. Thanks for the tip!

6. Posted March 17, 2013 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Yum! I am excited to try this out using dashi stock, as well. Growing up my mom always made egg drop soup, but with chicken stock. I remember being fascinated with the way the eggs moved into the hot broth. I had forgotten about this family staple! Thank you for reminding me!

7. Posted March 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Very pretty pictures and I like the idea of a bit of ginger juice! Yuki

One Trackback