Chicken Tatsuta Age

A close cousin to the commonly known Japanese fried chicken, karaage, tatsuta age is different in that the chicken sits in a quick marinade before dusted in a coat of katakuriko and fried in hot oil.

I know deep frying seems like a lot of work but as a side dish, it’s no big deal. I use a small pot to get the job done, which means smaller batches, but I use less oil and the clean up is relatively easy. A squeeze of lemon is all you need to finish off the dish.

Chicken Tatsuta Age
鳥の竜田揚げ
Adapted from わたしの味野菜たっぷり

2 chicken thighs
2 Tbps shoyu
1 Tbsp sake
1 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp grated ginger juice
1 clove garlic, grated
3 Tbsp or more katakuriko
oil for frying
lemon

Slowly heat the oil to 350º F.

In the meantime, poke the chicken all over with a fork, then cut into bite-sized pieces.

Combine the shoyu, sake, mirin, ginger juice, and garlic in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and let marinate for 10 mins.

Drain the marinade well then, in a new bowl, add the chicken and katakuriko, a tablespoon at a time. Mix well before each addition. The chicken should be evenly coated, but any excess should be shaken off.

Fry the chicken until golden and cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges.

This entry was posted in Favorites, Meat and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 6, 2013 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Karaage is one of my favourite chicken dishes. I remember how surprised I was to discover the existence of tatsuta age because many people mix up both and call tatsuta age “karaage”… Thank you for sharing one more simple and delicious recipe!

2. Posted March 6, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Interesting- what makes you choose katakuriko over regular ol wheat flour? Is it lighter?

3. Posted March 6, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

oh so the way I was actually doing my karaage was tatsua age ? (fault of my cookbooks that misname them !).
    Happy to know that :)

4. Posted March 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Patricia, I think katakuriko is more coarse when fried. Tempura uses wheat flour because it’s light, so I imagine katakuriko makes it more dense. I haven’t tried using wheat flour for karaage or tatsuta age, so I can’t be for sure, though.

5. Posted March 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Have to give this a try. we always use prepackaged karaage mix but it probably has a ton of MSG which I hate… this is so doable! My bf will probably eat this with a cup of kewpie. argh.

6. Posted March 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

karen c., yes! It’s very simple. I used to buy the prepacked stuff, too. But it’s really no biggie to make on your own. Hope you give it a try!

One Trackback

• By best of the blogs: March 2013 « One Good Thing on April 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm

[…] Simple matcha latté, anyone? ✚ So, I guess that Japanese is my spirit diet. I want to make this chicken tatsuta age very soon. ✚ This Krantz Cake looks a little like my chocolate Kügelhopf. ✚ Paleo chocolate […]