Video: Miso Soup

The misoshiru (miso soup) of my youth was hearty. My grandmother made it with chunks of vegetables and sometimes white fleshed fish. She used cabbage, daikon, kabocha, yellow onion, enoki, tofu, carrots, sweet potato, and other ingredients that probably needed to be used up. I loved her misoshiru, full of flavor and sustenance—not like the wispy miso soup you find at restaurants.

This video is a follow up from last week’s dashi video. Misoshiru is a perfect way to use up that homemade dashi! I didn’t skimp on the ingredients—it’s like my grandmother’s version that way. I used two types of both red and white miso, which gives a more nuanced flavor, but you can use just red or just white also. Remember the salt content varies so taste as you go. I wrote 1 Tbsp of miso, but use just under 1 Tbsp, then taste. Add more if it’s not salty enough, but do so a little bit at a time.

Misoshiru | みそ汁
Adapted from 和食の基本

Ingredients
½ block soft tofu
½ package enoki
dried wakame
2 ½ cups (600ml) dashi
1 Tbsp miso
2 stalks green onion

Wrap the tofu in a paper towel and set aside. Separate the enoki by hand and cut in half crosswise.

Warm the dashi in a pot over medium heat and dissolve the miso using either a strainer and spatula or a ladle and chopsticks. It’s important the soup does not come to a boil as this changes the flavor of the soup. Add the tofu by tearing off small pieces. Add the enoki and wakame. When the tofu floats, enoki is soft, and the wakame is rehydrated, turn off the heat and serve. Garnish with green onions.

This video was shot by my friend, Kevin Mapp. He’s a photographer and one half of the duo behind the food business, The Rice Creamery. Their gourmet rice pudding is unlike anything I’ve had—the flavors are unique and the sweetness is restrained, just the way I like it! They’re everywhere in the LA food scene—you can catch them at the Autry Farmer’s Market on Saturdays as well as other food events in the area. Follow them on Facebook or Twitter to get updates on where you can taste their latest offerings!

This entry was posted in Soups, Traditional Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 11, 2012 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Great video, the recipe looks simple but delicious. If I find the ingredients in my area I think I’m gonna give it a try, thanks !

2. Charles Raynor
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Finally found everything I needed. The video really does help one realize the ease of which this can be made. Just dont be distracted and let the soup boil. I think my first attempt was good, it came out a bit strong, but everyone loved it. Not a drop left!
    Thanks for another great one Azusa!

3. Posted October 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

MakiLover, thanks for the comment—I hope you have a successful ingredient search!

Charlie, I have let the soup boil countless times by accident. You will lose some of the health benefits because it kills the good bacteria in the miso and the flavor will change, but it’s still tastes good! Glad you enjoyed the video!

4. Charles Raynor
    Posted October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Good to know! I caught it right before it boiled. It just seemed I had to continue to reduce the heat every few minutes. It was perfect! Thanks again! Looking forward to my next dish.

5. Vicky
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

All this time I’ve let my miso boil…. now I know better! Thanks for the tip.

6. Posted December 4, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Glad to be of help, Vicky! Hope your misoshiru turns out better next time.

7. Posted February 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Such a beautiful video! I’ve always wanted to make heartier miso soups but didn’t know what to put in them/what ingredients would work with the flavors. Your grandmother is a smart woman :)

8. Posted February 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

May, thank you so much! Yes, my grandmother made a very nutritious miso soup—and I miss it dearly. Let me know if you come up with any creative additions!