Chocolate Mochi Brownies with Matcha

I love mochi. I love chocolate. So when I saw Mary’s post on The Food Librarian last week, I knew this was going in my oven. If, by some small chance, you haven’t happened upon her blog, I suggest you head straight there. She can get crazy with jello, make a mean bundt, and mindblow you with a jello bundt. I love that she’s a fellow Angeleno, which means I learn a lot about the city through her. It also means I get a taste of what’s baking in her kitchen from time to time!

So here’s my version, which was adapted from Mary, who adapted from justJENN. A cup of sugar seemed like a lot to me, but it had the perfect level of sweetness for my taste, which is to say it wasn’t overly sweet. Not only is this recipe super easy, but it’s gluten free and great for sharing!

Chocolate Mochi Brownies with Matcha
Adapted from The Food Librarian and justJENN
Makes 36 small squares

1 cup mochiko
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 to 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tsp matcha

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8×8 inch square pan (or you can use Jenn’s method and line with parchment and butter).

In a large bowl, combine the mochiko, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.

Melt the butter and chocolate chips gently in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Once completely melted, remove from heat.

In a medium bowl combine the evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and egg. Whisk and add the melted chocolate. Mix until combined. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until combined. Pour into the pan.

When the oven has finished preheating and the pan is ready to go in, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top (you can also use Mary’s method, which prevents the chips from sinking to the bottom of the pan). Bake for 40–50 mins.

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Invert carefully and sprinkle with matcha.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Sweets. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Looks great. I reckon I could eat the whole tray in 5 minutes flat!

2. Posted May 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Spencer, it takes a great amount of self control!

3. Posted May 4, 2012 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Gorgeous brownies! Maybe this is finally the sweet treat with mochiko that I will succeed in making. (My previous two experiments didn’t give satisfactory results).

4. Posted May 4, 2012 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Sissi, sorry to hear that! Hope this recipe proves different. Let me know how it works out!

5. Posted May 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Sounds like an awesome combo. Where can I get the mochiko? At a standard Japanese supermarket? Does it come in powder form? Can’t wait to try this once I gather all the ingredients!

6. Posted May 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Jenn, you can get mochiko at an Asian market. I like the one made by Koda Farms. Mochiko is sweet rice flour and is in powder form. Happy baking!

7. Posted May 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I had no idea that mochi was gluten free! I just assumed that since it’s called a glutinous rice that it contained gluten. I’m so glad I was wrong! This recipe looks great:)

8. Posted May 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Kylie, yes! Mochiko is made from sweet rice and no wheat products. But the fact that it’s gluten free is besides the point. These ‘brownies’ will appeal to gluten-free and gluten eaters alike!

9. Posted May 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Interesting way to use mochi. Very nice!

10. Lisa Sasaki
    Posted May 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Love the recipe, Azusa, especially the gluten-free part! Now if only you could figure out a way to make your donuts gluten-free…

11. Posted May 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Lisa! Hmm, I’ll have to think about that one!

12. arthistmom
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I’m going to make this for the mochi and chocolate lovers in my life. The brown and green color combo is beautiful!

13. Posted June 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

arthistmom, I hope all the mochi and chocolate lovers enjoy this one!

14. Tam
    Posted August 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Oh, mochi my sweet
    Dearest matcha and chocolate
    I think I’m in love!

These look so amazing they inspire Haiku. No Joke. :D

15. Posted August 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Tam, I love your haiku!

16. Payal
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Can I use regular milk instead of evaporated milk? If yes, will the quantity be the same as evaporated milk?

17. Posted December 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Payal, I have never used regular milk in place of evaporated milk, not just in this recipe, but in any baked good. I’m sorry I’m no help!

18. Denise
    Posted January 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Where can I get the matcha powder?

19. Posted January 6, 2014 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Denise, I like to get my matcha powder from Lupicia, but I’ve seen different brands at the grocery store. If you don’t have a Japanese grocery store or a Lupicia near you, I’m sure you could do a quick search online and find a brand that can deliver.