Mixed Rice with Pork and Bamboo Shoots

My new favorite way to make rice is this Mixed Rice with Pork and Bamboo Shoots! I must’ve made it at least once a week since I first made it a few weeks ago. Maze gohan translates to mixed rice, a method of mixing in ingredients into rice that’s been cooked. The idea of maze gohan was never more appealing to me than takikomi gohan, where the ingredients are cooked with the rice. I was surprised at how easy and flavorful this turned out.

Mixed Rice with Pork and Bamboo Shoots | 豚肉と竹の子の混ぜご飯
Adapted from Your Japanese Kitchen 2

1.75 cups (400ml) uncooked Japanese short-grain rice (I use 30% polished brown rice)

7 oz. (200g) canned boiled bamboo shoots, sliced thinly in bite-sized pieces
3.5 oz. (100g) thinly sliced pork, sliced in 1″ pieces
1 Tbsp canola oil
3 Tbsp shoyu
1 Tbsp sake
2 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp sugar
ground black pepper

Wash and cook rice.

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the pork and fry until the meat is no longer pink. Add the bamboo shoots and fry for a minute or so. Next, add the shoyu, sake, mirin, and sugar. Continue cooking until there is a little liquid left in the pan, stirring occasionally.

Once the rice is cooked and has steamed for 10 mins, add the pork and bamboo shoots. Fold in the ingredients until combined, but do not over mix, otherwise the rice will get starchy. Serve the rice topped with a little ground pepper.

This entry was posted in Favorites, Rice Dishes, Traditional Recipes. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

It does look very simple, but very flavoursome too! I love pork and of course fried rice, so I’m sure I would love this very close mixed rice dish too.

2. Posted March 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Sissi, hope you have a chance to try it—it’s really easy and delicious and has become a favorite in my house!

3. emi reiner
    Posted May 3, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Bamboo shoots are perfect for spring dishes. I love these rice bowls, by the way.

4. Posted May 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Emi, you’re right! I should try making this with fresh bamboo shoots. You know, I’ve had these bowls for such a long time… and have been itching for a new set! Anyway, thanks for your comment!

5. Posted May 6, 2012 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Rice is my favorite comfort food. One of my Mom’s best rice dishes involve quickly roasting the grains with chicken fat and then cooking them in a flavorsome chicken stock with a slice or two of ginger. Then we gobble them up with pickles, crunchy cucumber and spicy shoyu sauce. :) Thanks for the recipe, and I’ll definitely try it out when I get my hands on some bamboo shoots.

6. Posted May 6, 2012 at 8:48 am | Permalink

A.L., that sounds delicious! As I often find, simple ingredients and recipes are best.

7. Nikki Chang
    Posted May 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I made this for my boys this weekend and it was a hit. This recipe will be a definite repeat. Thanks for sharing it!

8. Posted May 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Nikki, I’m glad it was liked by all! I know how picky kids can be, so it’s great praise that they enjoyed it.

9. Posted March 30, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

What a lovely blog you have! I make this kind of rice when I don’t have anything in the fridge, and it never disappointed me. Maze gohan is an ultimate comfort food in Japanese cuisine! I love your beautiful and peaceful photography.

10. Posted March 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

goboroot, thank you! I can’t agree with you more. I love your blog, too—it’s inspiring!

11. slyn yburan
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to try making this to my family! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

12. Rebecca
    Posted February 27, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

This looks amazing! I’m living in Japan and have access to fresh bamboo shoots. How should I prepare the raw bamboo shoots? I’ve never cooked with them before. Thanks!!

13. Posted March 7, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Rebecca, I’ve not had the good fortune of getting fresh bamboo shoots so I’m not much help. But, I’ll point you to this site for guidance: http://justhungry.com/how-cook-bamboo-shoots-takenoko. Hope you’re enjoying your time in Japan!

One Trackback

• [...] anyone who thinks rice is a little boring, I urge you to make this Mixed Rice with Pork and Bamboo Shoots. This maze gohan (mixed rice) is one of my favorites for its ease and short ingredient list. But [...]