Avocado and Tomato Bake

Japanese love mayonnaise. They bake it on toast, on pizza, toss it straight up with sliced cabbage, and mix it with mentaiko (spicy cod roe). Here, it’s combined with shoyu and wasabi, poured over sliced avocados and tomatoes, and baked. Maybe it sounds strange, but I was immediately drawn to this recipe.

Part of the draw was because I was surprised to see this recipe in a widely circulated Japanese cooking magazine. While visiting my relatives in Hiratsuka back in the early to mid-90s, my mom made California rolls for the family. Avocados had not yet been introduced to Japan and everyone seemed to agree that avocados were a bit… strange and not to their liking. This particular American invention didn’t do well then, but avocados has since been widely used and accepted.

This dish is assembles fast so it’s perfect when you need a simple, but unique and tasty side dish. I think a tomato on the sweet side would be good to balance the saltiness of the sauce and the creamy avocado. I loved the hint of wasabi, but feel free to omit. Eat it topped on a slice of toast or over hot rice.

Avocado and Tomato Bake
アボカドとトマトの和風マヨ焼き
Adapted from オレンジページ 2010年5月17日

1 avocado
squeeze of lemon
1 tomato
1 Tbsp panko

Sauce
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1½ tsp shoyu
½ tsp neri wasabi (in a tube)

Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and cut lengthwise into 6–7mm thick slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Cut the tomato in half lengthwise and cut crosswise into 6–7mm thick slices.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients.

In a small baking dish (I used 2 small gratin dishes), alternate the avocado and tomato slices. Top with sauce and sprinkle with panko. Bake at 500ºF for about 10–15 mins. I used a toaster oven, so times may vary. Keep a close eye and remove from the oven when the panko turns golden brown.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

What a great dish with two of my favorite ingredients! The sauce sounds really good with a hint of wasabi. Thanks for the recipe!

2. Posted October 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Hyosun, this had a really unique flavor, so hope you have a chance to try it!

3. Posted October 26, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Looks too good ~

4. Posted October 30, 2011 at 1:02 am | Permalink

This sounds fantastic – a little bit California, yet so very Japanese. And as usual your photos make it look doubly delicious. Can’t wait to try it!

5. Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink

What a fantastic dish and once more perfect in its simplicity!
    I am surprised here by the baked avocado. I have never had it warm… I must test it. None of your recipes has let me down so I trust your palate.
    I am not surprised the Japanese love mayonnaise. Japanese mayonnaise is delicious. It’s different from the French mayonnaise, but they have one thing in common: the mayonnaise is not bland and tasteless, but has a very lively taste. (I have read somewhere American mayonnaise is white and bland). The French (and me) eat lots of mayonnaise too.

6. Meg
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

I really like your blog, I discovered it several months ago when I was looking for Japanese cooking blogs, I’ve already tried several recipes of yours with great success, thanks so much : )

7. Posted January 13, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Luv your images on this site!! Food looks wonderful! :D
    Hope it’s ok if I make a link to your site from my blog!

8. Posted January 13, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Chris, Emma, Sissi, and Meg, thanks for the comments! Hope you have a chance to try this—It’s definitely a unique dish. Baked avocado is unusual, but quite good!

9. Posted January 13, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Jacqueline, thanks for the link! I’m so glad you like Humble Bean!