Fried Rice with Crispy Garlic and Ginger

Mark Bittman has a way of making simple things look really delicious. I watched as he effortlessly whipped up ginger fried rice and I needed to make this immediately. The crunchy flecks of garlic and ginger, and using the garlic and ginger-infused oil for the fried rice sounded perfect.

I took liberties in making some adjustments. He gently sautes leeks, but I combined a wedge of yellow onion and stalks of green onion because that’s what I had in the fridge. Also, I added the shoyu in the pan instead of drizzling it over the rice after it’s been served. Cooking the shoyu gives it more intensity and a bit of a burnt flavor, which I like. I used brown rice, but I think this would taste more interesting with white rice because the crispy garlic and ginger would stand out against a smoother grain. This is such a simple dish—and I very much liked it—but I think it would be better as an accompaniment to a main dish.

Fried Rice with Crispy Garlic and Ginger
Adapted from The New York Times

1/2 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
Salt
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks green onion, chopped
4 cups day-old cooked rice (I used short-grain brown rice)
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons sesame oil
4 teaspoons soy sauce

In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and brown. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and salt lightly.

Reduce heat under skillet to medium-low and add 2 tablespoons oil and yellow onions. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender but not browned. Season lightly with salt. Raise heat to medium and add rice and green onions. Cook and stir to combine. Pour shoyu around the perimeter of the pan and add the sesame oil. Stir to combine.

In a nonstick skillet, fry eggs in remaining oil, sunny-side-up, until edges are set but yolk is still runny.

Serve rice topped with fried egg and a sprinkle of crisped garlic and ginger.

This entry was posted in Rice Dishes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Oh, this looks great. And I’m sure it smelled wonderful!!! (And I have the same flash but my photos don’t look like yours. It is obvious you are an artist in print and photography!!!! :) – mary

2. Posted February 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Mary, you are so kind! Thank you!

3. Posted February 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

This fried rice looks amazing. I love the different flavors and the few ingredients. Great photos as well!

4. Posted February 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I made this the other day with a poached egg. So good! The crispy garlic and ginger is the best

5. Posted February 8, 2010 at 12:54 am | Permalink

I’ve been seeing a lot of ginger fried rice recipes around lately. They’ve been similar but I’ve noticed that some are using leeks while others use green onions. I don’t know what would be better so I guess I’ll just have to try both. Thanks for the post!

6. Posted February 8, 2010 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Brittany, the surge in ginger fried rice is all thanks to Mr. Bittman. I’ll have to try this with leeks, too, although the green onion makes it look prettier. Hope you have a chance to try it!

7. shan
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

It really looks delicious!. I will try your recipe for Uraku and Yumeji.

8. Posted February 14, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

I hope Uraku and Yumeji like it! 簡単でパリッとしたにんにくとしょうがが美味しかった。Let me know what you think!

9. Posted March 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I had the biggest craving for fried rice this morning when I woke up. I didn’t have time to go to the grocery store before going to class, but I did happen to have everything needed for your recipe. It’s delicious!–I’m crunching right now and the fried ginger and garlic is positively amazing!

10. Posted March 3, 2010 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Annie, don’t you just love it when everything you need is right there in your kitchen? On top of that, this is something that is easily adaptable with whatever you might have in the fridge. The crunchy garlic and ginger adds so much. I’m glad you enjoyed it!