Matcha Mochi Cupcakes

These mochi cupcakes are crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside, and have a wonderful hint of matcha. This recipe is a great alternative to the cupcakes we’re used to because they’re not overly sweet.

Don’t be afraid to brown edges on these babies—the crusty texture gives a nice contrast to the sticky innards. See the photo above? It could’ve stayed in the oven a bit longer, so be not afraid! The cake will stay moist. You could also drop a dollop of anko in the center or play around with other mix-ins. They’re only good for 2 days tops, so be sure you have hungry mouths to feed!

Matcha Mochi Cupcakes
Adapted From Otoki
Makes 24 cupcakes

1 (1 lb.) box mochiko
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. matcha
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Whisk all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and oil. Add dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. Spoon batter in a muffin pan lined with baking cups and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Sweets and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Using matcha does wonders to the color of those cupcakes!

2. Posted December 3, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

A little goes a long way!

3. Posted December 7, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Oh…I love these. And I can make them at home now? Thanks. I think. :) I’ll probably eat 100 of them!

4. Posted December 7, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Hey there food librarian, happy birthday! Yes! These are similar to your recipe, which I loved…

5. Posted December 11, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Those look good! I really like baking with matcha.

6. Posted December 31, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Azusa, what kind of oil do you recommend using?

7. Posted January 5, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Candi, we used canola since it’s a flavorless oil. I imagine vegetable oil would work fine, too. We did a second batch with a dollop of adzuki beans in the middle and that was really good. Let me know how yours turns out!

8. Vivien
    Posted January 6, 2010 at 6:08 am | Permalink

what is mochiko?

9. Posted January 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Vivien, mochiko is rice flour, usually found in Asian markets.

10. Posted February 26, 2010 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Hello! I just stumbled across your site (thanks to Tastespotting) and was immediately drawn to this post. I just moved to Japan a couple of months ago, and I’ve been wanting to make a Japanese variation on lemon bars with all the amazing winter citrus available here. This seems like just the ticket! I love the idea of using mochi in the filling, too – ingenious!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I’ve enjoyed your blog greatly so far. If you have a chance, please do check out mine as well! Here’s the link: http://shichimi.wordpress.com

Cheers,
    Emma

11. Posted February 26, 2010 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Oops, that comment was supposed to be attached to the lemon bar post. Oh well. The cupcakes look great, too!

12. Posted March 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

these look GREAT! and what perfect timing i just bought my first bag of green tea powder yesterday :O) thanks for sharing!

13. Jiny
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Just wondering – do these freeze well?

14. Posted March 22, 2010 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Jiny, I’ve never tried freezing these but I imagine they would do fine since rice and the other ingredients freeze well. Let me know if you try it out!

15. Posted August 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Those cupcakes look delicious!! I love mochi! So I am sure I would love these cupcakes as well :)

16. paul
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 8:10 am | Permalink
  17. Anna
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Hello! I was wondering, is it 375 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius? Thank-you!

18. Posted March 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Anna, it’s Fahrenheit!

19. Amy
    Posted June 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Hm.. sounds like an idea to try in my waffle maker. “Moffles” were popular a years ago, hopefully these turn out as a more flavorful alternative!

20. karen
    Posted May 30, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Azusa

I was just wondering what consistency the batter is supposed to be? Mine seemed fairly runny, but they still turned out ok in the oven.

Thanks! They do taste great though however, but I found it slightly oily, so please advise what sort of oil you use :)

21. rei
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 2:32 am | Permalink

if i were to use cupcake papers, would the mochi cupcakes stick to them after being baked?

22. Posted August 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

rei, I’ve never used cupcake papers, but I imagine they would work. If you try it, please let me know how they turn out!

23. sayoora
    Posted September 17, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

has anyone tried substituting milk with coconut milk?

24. Posted September 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

sayoora, I haven’t tried it with coconut milk, but I love the idea. Let us know if you try it and how it turned out!