Shiitake and Bacon Alfredo

If you’re watching your weight, don’t bother. Mimicking an alfredo sauce, the robust flavor in this recipe comes from bacon (Mmm, bacon…) and the richness of shiitake. There’s no butter or parmesan cheese, but I assure you the taste (or fat content) isn’t compromised. The concentrated flavor of dried shiitake holds up well with the bacon and, since I always have some in my pantry, it’s an easy go-to recipe.

The meal comes together super quick, so pair it with a simple salad and it’s perfect for a weeknight. I used linguine, but the original recipe calls for fettucine.

Shiitake and Bacon Alfredo
Adapted from ケンタロウのおかずの王様

4 dried shiitake
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 strips of bacon, sliced in 1/2 inch strips
between 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
7 oz. fettucine

Start by reconstituting the dried shiitake. Boil around 1 cup of water and pour over shiitake in a bowl. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes until soft. Remove from water (be careful, it’s hot!) and gently squeeze some of the liquid out. Trim the tough stems and slice into 1/4 inch strips.

Heat the olive oil in a pan over low heat and add the garlic. Once the garlic becomes fragrant increase the heat to medium-low and add the bacon and the shiitake. Cook until the bacon has slightly browned. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Season with salt an pepper and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.

Cook fettucine according to package directions and add to the pan with alfredo sauce. Mix well until the pasta is well coated and serve.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Favorites, Noodles and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 28, 2009 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Interesting.
    I have a habit of using fresh Shiitake for cooking pasta, and the dried ones mostly for Chinese dishes. But am prepared to take this invention. Thanks.

2. Posted August 31, 2009 at 4:11 am | Permalink

You can’t go wrong with bacon and cream and I like the use of the shiitake mushrooms.

3. Posted October 14, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

So, so true. A win-win as far as I’m concerned!

4. Posted September 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Oh MAN.

That is one of the prettiest sights ever…creamy pasta + mushrooms…+ BACON?! So yum. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever had a dried shiitake mushroom…when I goot with mushrooms they’re usually portobellos/cremini.

Could be worth looking into!

5. Posted September 9, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Becky, thank you! This pasta is a regular at my house because it’s so easy and tasty. Hope you give it a try!

One Trackback

• By Braised Daikon with Chicken on February 13, 2013 at 3:10 pm

[…] not a big fan of dried shiitake unless it’s sliced thin and used sparingly, like in sushi or this recipe. So, while it imparts a great flavor to the broth, I don’t like to chomp down on this spongy, […]