Matcha Latte

If you’ve ever had matcha the traditional way, you’re familiar with its bitterness. Made by stirring vigorously with a bamboo whisk, the frothy drink compliments the sugary sweets usually served with it. The matcha latte we made over the weekend is a simple recipe from a book we bought a couple of years ago in Japan called New Tastes in Green Tea. It has information about tea varieties, how to prepare tea, and it serves as a basic guide.

The recipes in the book incorporate green tea in a variety of ways like in gnocchi, salad dressing,  a seafood and mushroom gratin, scones, and more. Among them was this matcha latte recipe—a more mellow version than straight up matcha with a hint of sweetness from a spoonful of honey.

Matcha Latte
Makes 1 serving
Adapted from New Tastes in Green Tea

1 1/3 tsp. matcha
3 Tbsp. hot water
1 cup whole milk
1 Tbsp. honey

In a tea bowl or mug, mix the matcha and hot water until it becomes a smooth paste.

Warm the milk and honey over low heat, making sure the milk never reaches a boil. Once heated, pour into the tea bowl and stir until incorporated.

This entry was posted in Contemporary Recipes, Drinks and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted July 8, 2009 at 3:39 am | Permalink

I love traditionally made green tea – it’s just a whole different vehicle to the stuff made with a tea bag. Adding milk & honey sounds amazing; gorgeous presentation, and it’s such a beautiful colour!

2. Posted July 12, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Indigo, thanks! Hope you get a chance to try this one… it’s very smooth. Mmm…

3. Posted July 17, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Matcha Latte looks really delicious and this is great photo! I would love to try it!

ps. thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! Glad that i discovered your beautiful blog! ox

4. Robbie
    Posted October 5, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

That matcha latte looks so delicious that I am going to go make one right now. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I found more recipes at http://www.GoMatchaGo.com.

5. Jessica
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this recipe! I am currently living in Japan and have become addicted to these little suckers, now I can make them at home and save my yennies!

6. Posted March 19, 2012 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Jessica, I hope you enjoy this latte! Yennies… haha!

7. Posted April 18, 2012 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Love the recipe! I did a version recently with soy milk and agave syrup and was looking around for similar recipes. Your blog looks lovely.

8. Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Thanks for this recipe! I am sipping my matcha latte right now, it brings back memories of Japan!

9. Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Kelley, I love how food/drink can evoke a different place and time. So happy you are enjoying this recipe!